Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: Time to boost NET value
« Last post by CharleyR on December 15, 2017, 03:05:07 PM »
Hi. This is MikeB, (the dev formerly known as 'who' in the netcoin forums).  I'm still around and a major piece of work I'm undertaking right now is porting Netcoin to the C# .NET framework based on the bang up to date NBitcoin codebase by Bitcoin core developer Nicolas Dorier.

Glad to read you're still on board, MikeB. I hope you succeed in your intentions. What kind of time frame are we looking at for the things you're planning to do?
« Last post by regtable on December 14, 2017, 10:48:23 PM »
Hi. This is MikeB, (the dev formerly known as 'who' in the netcoin forums).  I'm still around and a major piece of work I'm undertaking right now is porting Netcoin to the C# .NET framework based on the bang up to date NBitcoin codebase by Bitcoin core developer Nicolas Dorier.

My goals are:
- Get NET running in C# .NET - because I'm a native c# coder and I love Visual Studio's development environment and the fact it now runs on any platform. .Net Core (Standard) is really proving itself as a cross-platform development solution.

- Minimise disruption to the NBitcoin codebase as I add the .NET specific code. This will simplify the task of staying up to date with the very latest desirable innovations from the bitcoin community going forwards (such as SPV 'light weight' wallet clients for mobile devices)

- Maintain compatibility (at least initially) with the current wallets (so no hard fork at this stage).  This might mean suppressing some of the latest bitcoin innovations initially, but then we could enable new features selectively based on the NET community wishlist.

- Open up Proof of Stake, PIR, OWI, and the other Netcoin innovations to the millions of C# developers out there.
Proof of Stake is not in Nicolas' codebase at all, so that is my final main challenge, and its a tough one, but I'm confident I'll get there and in a few weeks I'll be happy with the results.  It took me about 4 months to get the Proof of Stake logic into NET in 2014, so I'm hoping that early into the new year, I'll start seeing the entire Netcoin blockchain loading into Visual Studio.  That will be my second milestone.  (My first was getting the Netcoin genesis block loading and validating in .NET and I've already achieved that a few weeks ago)

So that's what I've been up to.  Let me know your comments, and remember at this stage, this is just something I'm doing because I live and breathe c# and Visual Studio in my day to day job, and I truly believe that doing this will open up Netcoin's future development to the millions of c# devs out there.

In the meantime, check out the readme and impressive feature list for the NBitcoin repo here:
https://github.com/MetacoSA/NBitcoin.git

and my own work-in-progress fork with the Netcoin specifics here:
https://github.com/mbirtwistle/NBitcoin/tree/netcoin-pos
hey mike hows it going. glad to see your hiding away working hard :-) should come to discord and say hi dude, long time no speak! 
p.s do not drop this untill i have 10 mil please!
General Discussion / Re: Hello again
« Last post by JP on December 14, 2017, 10:31:38 PM »
Hey Snawdog,

I remember you mate! Welcome back!

Those were the days, and those days are returning, maybe not crazy mining of old - but NET is on the up and up.

Old faces returning while dev's have been working in the background all this time.

Drop in on Discord/NET channel ;)

Cheers.

General Discussion / Hello again
« Last post by snawdog on December 13, 2017, 10:33:18 PM »
hows the Net community growing?
Some here may remeber me,some not. My brother and i were here when NET first went live.
Lawd! we mined MILLIONS of coins..gave millions away, watched it grow,was worth 25cents once.
Good ol days, anyways, hi yall!
General Discussion / Re: next block halving?
« Last post by BigJohnson on December 13, 2017, 06:16:57 AM »
Not something we wanted to do but for PoW to continue, and for the core upgrade it had to be done. Also we don't want to be a PoS only coin, so we decided to keep POW going. It's something we feel is good in a coin security wise and for the dedicated miners that have supported Netcoin's NETwork and because people still do mine it traditionally. That said we have continued on our PoW to a static reward of 15 coins per block and sorry to say, but the hourly 8x superblocks have been discontinued.   Also PoS rewards for PIR year 3 are changed to 2-4-6-7-8-10% because with these market volumes it could never sustain the current reward settings. PIR year 4 will follow year 3's. POW is set to end block 2500000.
General Discussion / next block halving?
« Last post by r3s on December 13, 2017, 04:23:37 AM »
Sorry if its been asked, havent been able to find the info for when the POW block reward halves again, i remember there was a countdown for the last halving but it was a long time ago, is there a list of the blocks which are the halvings?

cheers

Andrew
« Last post by Sobogunkenny on December 11, 2017, 08:59:22 PM »
This is a very good update and I want to believe with the underground work and development going on.... We can make a different.
Though I don't fully understand most computer technicalities like C#.....but I believe this is a great step ahead and a value adding capacity for the netcoin.

Keep us updated with the development Mike and thanks.
« Last post by prochefbill on December 10, 2017, 03:39:54 AM »
Hoy Hoy MikeB .... Very good news you just shared with us .. I thank you and I look forward to seeing where the hard work the dev's like yourself take this coin. Always one step ahead and always in the shadows of others ... BUT with big initiatives like yours and adding $net to .NET framework I have a feeling the spotlight will finally shine bright on Netcoin and bring our coin out of the shadows :) Great post and a big Thanks :)
« Last post by JP on December 09, 2017, 12:57:56 AM »
Hi MikeB,

Thanks for the reply.

I was very excited to read your successes and plans. and the possiblities NET could bring in the future.

Porting NET into .NET is a major undertaking for a single person.

This really is the update that NET would need and if you could keep us up to date as much as possible I'm sure that there are many .NET devs out there that would jump at the opportunity to assist with the design and implementation of innovative features for NET once the framework is functional.

This may also give the wider dev/admin group an opporunity to plan and implement feature sets on a more frequent basis.

While I can't code at your level, I'm willing to assist - even on a planning basis - with whatever comes to mind.

I've also notified the admin/mods on the Discord/NET channel to this post - pop in if you have the chance but I think more communication via this forum is also needed.

Once again, great to hear about your work on NET and looking forward to updates.

Cheers,
JP.

« Last post by MikeB on December 07, 2017, 12:21:58 AM »

My goals are:
- Get NET running in C# .NET - because I'm a native c# coder and I love Visual Studio's development environment and the fact it now runs on any platform. .Net Core (Standard) is really proving itself as a cross-platform development solution.

- Minimise disruption to the NBitcoin codebase as I add the .NET specific code. This will simplify the task of staying up to date with the very latest desirable innovations from the bitcoin community going forwards (such as SPV 'light weight' wallet clients for mobile devices)

- Maintain compatibility (at least initially) with the current wallets (so no hard fork at this stage).  This might mean suppressing some of the latest bitcoin innovations initially, but then we could enable new features selectively based on the NET community wishlist.

- Open up Proof of Stake, PIR, OWI, and the other Netcoin innovations to the millions of C# developers out there.
Proof of Stake is not in Nicolas' codebase at all, so that is my final main challenge, and its a tough one, but I'm confident I'll get there and in a few weeks I'll be happy with the results.  It took me about 4 months to get the Proof of Stake logic into NET in 2014, so I'm hoping that early into the new year, I'll start seeing the entire Netcoin blockchain loading into Visual Studio.  That will be my second milestone.  (My first was getting the Netcoin genesis block loading and validating in .NET and I've already achieved that a few weeks ago)

So that's what I've been up to.  Let me know your comments, and remember at this stage, this is just something I'm doing because I live and breathe c# and Visual Studio in my day to day job, and I truly believe that doing this will open up Netcoin's future development to the millions of c# devs out there.

In the meantime, check out the readme and impressive feature list for the NBitcoin repo here:
https://github.com/MetacoSA/NBitcoin.git

and my own work-in-progress fork with the Netcoin specifics here:
https://github.com/mbirtwistle/NBitcoin/tree/netcoin-pos
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10